Wednesday, June 17, 2009

6/13 at the track

The rain held off last Saturday just long enough for women's field to get in one race. This made me feel happy and sad at the same time.

Mike had to work the night before so I got a ride down with Lindsay and Frankie. After stopping at whole foods for breakfast, we were on the road by 930, getting us to the track a little after 1030, unpacked and warming up by 11. This was AWESOME! I think it was my first race all season that I actually was able to give myself a proper warm up. I couldn't really judge how my legs were feeling. I did two sets of 10 laps and 1 sprint lap as my warm up, I felt good, but my nerves were at an all time high. I had been sick and shaking all morning. (Will I ever grow out of that?)

The field was good! Hannah Hayduk who needed 3 points for her cat 2 upgrade and some cadence girls as well as all the other speed demons that are normally there. The field was comprised of 24 women and 1 junior boy, a bunch of people from philly were there for support and Mike was there to cheer me on (even though it was his birthday!)

The first race was a 9 lap points race. I wasn't interested in getting points, but I really wanted to finish in the top 5. I kept a really good position most of the race, 1, 2 or 3 back in the sprinter's lane. After the second points lap, the field slowed down and I got behind the junior boy and wasn't able to slow down so I hopped up the track and slowly reduced my speed. I knew if I slowed down too much that if a break happened, I would end up on the back. So I stayed up on the track and out in front for a lap and a half. I was really confused! I couldn't understand why everything slowed down so much or why someone didn't counter my attack. I kept my head in the game and when I saw the break happen, I swooped down and completed the 5 person break. Immediately a smile came on to my face because I knew what was going to happen next- that's right! I was going to finish in the top 5!!!!!!!!!!! But apparently my warm up did me much better than I thought because I was able to get a clear 3rd finish which felt amazing!

I was really proud of my strategic riding.

Then 2 races later the sky opened up and we were rained out. The officials said we get to keep our standings for the races we got in, but they would also reschedule the entire race day. So it was super exciting because I finished 3rd, but sad that I couldn't finish my racing on a day when my legs and brain were really in sync.

This upcoming weekend will be my first weekend racing back to back. Saturday at the track and Sunday at Cargas. We will see what happens, but the rain still hasn't really stopped, so I am going on my 3rd week without any road rides and maybe 3 trainer workouts.

That is all because Mike is on his way home, and today we got our WEDDING INVITATIONS in the mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

zak kovalcik said...

"my nerves were at an all time high. I had been sick and shaking all morning. (Will I ever grow out of that?)"

a little bit, but not really. you just get kind of used to it.